A neurosurgical challenge: awake mapping in „critical” language area tumours

Main Article Content

Mihaela Cosman
Ionut Mihail Pantiru
Bogdan Florin Iliescu
Nina Straticiuc
Iulia Aldea
Vlad Buraga
Gabriela Florenta Dumitrecu
Ion Poeata

Abstract

Introduction. Despite the technological development lesion located in or near language area still represent a challenge for every neurosurgeon. Awake craniotomy and intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring come to our help. Different techniques variation exists among specialized centres. We present our experience and the set up for this procedure.


Materials and methods. We conducted a retrospective analysis of collected data from 10 patients with brain tumours located in or near language area to which we performed awake craniotomy and intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring. They were admitted in Third Department of Neurosurgery,” Prof. Dr. N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Yassi, Romania, between January 2014 and July 2018.


Results. Presenting symptoms had a duration more than a month in 60 % of patients. In 80% of them were represented by epileptic seizures and the rest of 20 % had transient aphasia elements. The median age of presentation was 28 years old with a male dominance. The histological reports indicated: fibrillary astrocytoma – 40%, anaplastic astrocytoma – 30%, oligodendroglioma – 20% and metastases – 10%. Gross total resection was performed in half of the cases and subtotal in just one case, in which the spontaneous speech and object naming showed repeated impairment in time of tumour debulking. The surgical intervention was well tolerated by all the patients. The intensity of cortical stimulation used was between 4 – 10 mA. Postoperatively two patients had neurological aggravation, with full recovery at 3 months follow up period, two were stationary and six had symptoms remission.


Conclusion. A young age of presentation, a paucity of symptoms, the chance for an increase in overall survival and progression free survival impose the need for direct communication and feedback with the patient in time of tumour resection. Thus, awake craniotomy and intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring is the golden standard for selected cases of language area tumours.

Article Details

How to Cite
Cosman, M., Pantiru, I., Iliescu, B., Straticiuc, N., Aldea, I., Buraga, V., Dumitrecu, G., & Poeata, I. (2019). A neurosurgical challenge: awake mapping in „critical” language area tumours. Romanian Neurosurgery, 33(4), 355-362. https://doi.org/10.33962/roneuro-2019-059
Section
Articles
Author Biographies

Mihaela Cosman

“Gr. T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Romania

Ionut Mihail Pantiru

“N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Romania

Bogdan Florin Iliescu

1. "Gr. T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Romania

2. “N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Romania

Nina Straticiuc

“N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Iași, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Romania

Iulia Aldea

“N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Psychologist, Romania

Vlad Buraga

“N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Psychologist, Romania

Gabriela Florenta Dumitrecu

“N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Iași, Department of Anatomopathology, Romania

Ion Poeata

1. “Gr. T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Romania

2. “N. Oblu” Emergency Clinical Hospital, Iași, Department of Neurosurgery, Romania