Outcome analysis of upper and lower limb motor functions after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for degenerative cervical disc disease

Main Article Content

Ninad N. Srikhande
V.A. Kiran Kumar
N.A. Sai Kiran
Amrita Ghosh
Ranabir Pal
Luis Rafael Moscote-Salazar
V. Anil Kumar
Vishnu Vardhan Reddy
Amit Agrawal

Abstract

Background: Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) is the most commonly performed surgical procedure for symptomatic cervical disc disease. In this study, we analysed the upper and lower limb motor functions after ACDF for disc prolapse in patients with degenerative cervical disc disease.


Methods: One hundred consecutive adult patients who underwent ACDF for single or two-level cervical disc prolapse during the study period (October 2015 to October 2017) were included in the study.


Results: Preoperative motor deficits in limbs were noted in 73% (73/100) of the patients. Enhance recovery of motor deficits was noted in 72.6% (53/73) of these patients and persisting motor deficits in the remaining patients (20/73- 27.4%). Five patients (5/27- 18.5%) without any preoperative motor deficits developed motor deficits after ACDF. Detailed pre and postoperative (at the time of discharge) motor power (graded by MRC grade) in all 4 limbs (Shoulder abduction/adduction/flexion/extension, elbow flexion/extension, wrist flexion/extension, hip abduction/adduction/flexion/extension, knee flexion/extension, ankle flexion/extension) was recorded. Statistically significant improvement in motor power (as recorded at the time of discharge) was noted in all the tested muscle groups after ACDF.


Conclusion: Early improvement in preoperative motor deficits can be expected in the majority of the patients with cervical PIVD following ACDF.

Article Details

How to Cite
Srikhande, N. N. ., Kumar, V. K. ., Kiran, N. S. ., Ghosh, A. ., Pal, R. ., Moscote-Salazar, L. R. ., Kumar, V. A., Reddy, V. V. ., & Agrawal, A. . (2020). Outcome analysis of upper and lower limb motor functions after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for degenerative cervical disc disease. Romanian Neurosurgery, 34(2), 238-244. https://doi.org/10.33962/roneuro-2020-036
Section
Articles
Author Biographies

Ninad N. Srikhande

Department of Neurosurgery, Narayana Medical College Hospital, Chinthareddypalem, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India

V.A. Kiran Kumar

Department of Neurosurgery, Narayana Medical College Hospital, Chinthareddypalem, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India

N.A. Sai Kiran

Department of Neurosurgery, Narayana Medical College Hospital, Chinthareddypalem, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India

Amrita Ghosh

Department of Biochemistry, Calcutta Medical College, 88, College street, Kolkata-700073, India

Ranabir Pal

Department of Community Medicine, MGM Medical College and LSK Hospital, Kishanganj -855107, Bihar, India

Luis Rafael Moscote-Salazar

Neurosurgery-Critical Care, Red Latino, Organización Latinoamericana de Trauma y cuidado, Neurointensivo, Bogota, Colombia

V. Anil Kumar

Department of Anaesthesia, Narayana Medical College Hospital, Chinthareddypalem, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India

Vishnu Vardhan Reddy

Department of Neurosurgery, Narayana Medical College Hospital, Chinthareddypalem, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India

Amit Agrawal

Department of Neurosurgery, Narayana Medical College Hospital, Chinthareddypalem, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, India