Coccydynia - a medical condition with multiple causes and different management strategies A local experience

Main Article Content

Amin Sabry
Ashraf S. Zidan
Mohemed Abdel Bari
Hesham El Sobky

Abstract

Background: Coccydynia is a common complaint which is usually self-limited and tolerable. Although most of these patients respond dramatically to conservative measures, some patients need more complex plane of treatment. In these conditions, the cause of coccydynia can be complex and multifactorial.


Patients and methods: A total of 8 cases were included in the study. All cases received medical treatment for 9 months before surgery. Complete coccygectomy was performed for all cases. Post-operative outcomes were measured according to the degree of pain relief.


Results: The mean age of the included cases was 43.87 years (range, 39 – 52). A total of 5 females (62.5%) and 3 males (37.5%) were included. The mean preoperative VAS score was 9 (range, 8 – 10), while post-operatively, it decreased significantly down to 2 (range, 1 – 3). Excellent postoperative outcomes were achieved in 6 cases (75%) whereas good outcomes were obtained in the remaining 2 cases (25%).


Conclusion: Although conservative medical measures are effective for treating coccydynia, but surgical excision is still a valid treatment option in resistant cases.

Article Details

How to Cite
Sabry, A. ., Zidan, A. S. ., Bari, M. A. ., & Sobky, H. E. . (2020). Coccydynia - a medical condition with multiple causes and different management strategies: A local experience. Romanian Neurosurgery, 34(2), 232-237. https://doi.org/10.33962/roneuro-2020-035
Section
Articles
Author Biographies

Amin Sabry

Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt

Ashraf S. Zidan

Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt

Mohemed Abdel Bari

Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt

Hesham El Sobky

Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt